About the Elder Senate
The Anishinaabemowin Teg Elder Senate is a non-voting advisory position that works cooperatively with other senate members, board members and youth council members. The elders serving on the senate are expected to serve as role models to youth and as wisdom keepers for Anishinaabek culture, language and values.
Elders serve a one-year term on the non-voting advisory Elders Senate. Appointees are eligible for reappointment by submitting a letter of interest that summarizes their accomplishments during their prior year of service and their vision and goals for the coming year if they are reappointed to the senate.
Interested in serving on the Elder Senate?
1. Because current members are from communities in Central Ontario, priority will be given elders from communities in:
- Eastern Ontario
- Southern Ontario or Michigan
- Western Ontario or Wisconsin or Minnesota
- Northern Ontario
2. Elders who have lived the Mino-bimaadziwin incorporating the seven teachings in their lives (spiritual and balanced)
3. Elders who can demonstrate their actions as advisors, teachers about language, culture, traditions, and about the good way of life and how they share their wisdom with others.
4. Elders who can offer appropriate response to crisis on issues.
5. Elders who can attend meetings as requested and required by the board of directors.
6. Elders who are willing to serve on committees and assist in planning activities and events.
7. Elders who are able to participate in training for Board Orientation.
8. Elders who are willing to sign & comply with the confidentiality oath once appointed to the senate.
Please send your letter of interest explaining why you are interested in joining the Elders Senate and what you can bring to Anishinaabemowin Teg. Include your complete contact information and a brief biography.
Application documents can be submitted by email to email@example.com– Margaret Noodin, A-Teg Secretary
Deadline for application: February 28, 2018. Please send your materials for consideration of appointment and appointments will be made at the board of directors discretion per ATeg bylaws. Appointments will be made for one-year appointments annually and will be announced at the annual AGM.