The role of Anishinaabemowin Teg Board members is to advise, govern, oversee policy and direction, and assist with the leadership and general promotion of Anishinaabemowin Teg, Inc. so as to support the organization’s mission and needs. Board members are responsible to the Anishinaabemowin Teg President and the members of Anishinaabemowin Teg, Inc.
Board Members serve a three-year term. The Executive roles of President, Vice-President, Treasurer and Secretary are elected each year.
Three positions are currently open.
Meetings and time commitment:
- The board of directors meets January through December on a quarterly basis on a Saturday or Sunday at specified rotating locations in Canada. Meetings typically last four to six hours, but may involve overnight workshop-type meetings.
- Committees of the board may perform their committee work via email and meet occasionally before or after regular board meetings, pending their respective work agenda.
- Board members are generally asked to attend no more than two special events or meetings per year, as they are determined.
- Organizational leadership and advisement
- Organization of the board of directors, officers, and committees
- Formulation and oversight of policies and procedures
- Financial management, including adoption and oversight of the annual budget
- Oversight of program planning and evaluation, including Annual Language Conference
- Personnel evaluation and staff development
- Review of organizational and programmatic reports, including any workshops sponsored by ATEG
- Promotion of the organization
- Fundraising and outreach
*Members of the board share these responsibilities while acting in the interest of Anishinaabemowin Teg, Inc. Each member is expected to make recommendations based on his or her experience and vantage point in the community.
- Attend and participate in meetings on a regular basis, and special events as able.
- Participate on standing committees of the board, and serve on ad-hoc committees as necessary.
- Be alert to community concerns that can be addressed by Anishinaabemowin Teg Inc. mission, objectives, and programs.
- Help communicate and promote Anishinaabemowin Teg, Inc. mission and programs to the community.
- Become familiar with Anishinaabemowin Teg, Inc. finances, budget, and financial/resource needs.
- Understand the policies and procedures of Anishinaabemowin Teg, Inc.
- Financially support Anishinaabemowin Teg, Inc. in a manner commensurate with one’s ability.
- Be a member in good standing of Anishinaabemowin Teg, Inc. and an active membership booster, recruiting additional members who share the goals of the ATEG organization.
- Complete other assignments as requested by the President or the Board of Directors.
- New Board Candidates: Submit letter of interest, biography, your resume or CV, a statement of what specialized skills you can bring to the ATEG Board of Directors and what you intend to do for ATEG. If you have letters of recommendation or community service awards, you may submit these documents for consideration.
- Board members whose terms have expired may run again by submitting a letter of intent that includes a list of what they have accomplished for Ateg while on Board of Directors, your resume or CV, your biography. If you have letters of recommendation or community service awards, you may submit these documents for consideration.
- The applications and documents submitted will be reviewed by the Nominating Committee. The Nominating committee will ensure that all submission are complete and then come up with a slate of candidates.
- The slate of candidates will be presented to the general membership at the AGM.
- All applicants must indicate acceptance of the Nomination to the Board. Those individuals who cannot be in attendance must provide a written proxy acceptance of the nomination.
- All applicants are to provide a speech at the AGM indicating what they can bring to the ATeg Board. Those who are returning candidates must also speak about what they have accomplished while on the ATeg Board.
- Ballots will be provided to the Ateg members (must provide proof of current paid membership) and then the slate of candidates can be voted on.
- Once the ballots are counted and new Board of Directors are named, the ballots will be destroyed.
- The deadline to submit your intent to run for the board is February 28, 2018 in order to be considered by the Nominating Committee.
- Application documents can be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org– Margaret Noodin, A-Teg Secretary